Work smarter, not harder. Whether you work in an office, hospitality, or in the construction industry – we all need to manage our time better. That’s why we came up with 5 quick ways that can help you begin working smarter today:
- Two week backlog – For those with a work inbox, create a to-do folder for urgent things and a backlog folder for less important things. Set yourself a reminder to go through your backlog folder every two weeks and if those items haven’t already been completed or re-prioritised into your urgent folder, then you should consider deleting them. Research shows that if tasks have not been completed after two weeks, requirements may have changed significantly or they’ll no longer be important.
- Writing – By handwriting your to-do list, you’re kick starting your neurological pathways that help you to remember items logically. This means that more in-depth detail will come back to you even when you read that three-worded bullet pointed task at the end of the day.
- Delegation – If there aren’t enough hours in the day to complete your work, then don’t do it. It’s better to raise your hand and ask for help, or delegate the work within your team. Unless there’s a deadline that can’t be moved, it’s better for your overall well-being to shut your laptop and pour yourself a glass.
- Online tools – There’s an abundance of useful tools that can help you manage time better. These are great because they allow for yourself and/or people in your team to know where things are and what needs to be done. Tools like these include Trello, Asana, and Google Docs.
- Your personal time – Don’t take your work home. Set a defined time to ‘clock off’ each day (especially for those working remotely). Also get outside on your lunch break – eat your sandwich whilst walking through the park.Taking uninterrupted time out from your job will give your mind a chance to reset, helping you to work smarter when you return.